Katarlı diplomat ve siyasetçi
PM call with the Amir of Qatar: 26 July 2026
The Prime Minister spoke to the Amir of Qatar, His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani yesterday (26 July 2026).
Lull in Iran, US fighting ‘achieved by fresh round of diplomacy’
• Diplomatic sources say Pakistan remained in touch with Tehran, Washington, Riyadh and Beijing during latest US bombing campaign • Turkish FM reaches out to Qatari, Pakistani leadership • Waltz says lull in strikes is Trump ‘making room for talks’ • Iran also stops retaliatory attacks on US bases • US media claims ammunition shortages, generals’ opposition forced president to halt bombing WASHINGTON / TEHRAN: As US hostilities towards Iran ease, diplomatic sources in Washington said that Pakistan and other mediators had played a significant role in efforts that helped halt the second round of bombing and create conditions for another pause in fighting. After 13 nights of intensifying US airstrikes on Iran, the Pentagon abruptly suspended the campaign late on Friday, with no attacks reported on either Saturday or Sunday. Iran, which had been following each night of US attacks with its own strikes on neighbouring countries that host American bases, has also so far held fire for two days. Diplomatic sources in the US capital said Pakistan had maintained communication with Tehran, Washington, Riyadh and Beijing during the US bombing campaign, arguing that these channels helped preserve space for diplomacy at a time of heightened tensions. Islamabad continued diplomatic outreach at multiple levels, they said, including contacts between senior officials, engagement with diplomatic counterparts and discussions with policymakers in Washington. They maintained that Pakistan’s position remained that dialogue was the only sustainable path toward ending the confrontation. The diplomatic push continued over the weekend, with Turkish media reporting contacts between Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and a host of regional leaders, including Chief of Defence Forces Field Marshal Asim Munir. According to the Anadolu news agency, Fidan discussed the negotiation process between Tehran and Washington with Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani and Pakistan’s army chief. Fidan held separate calls with PM Al Thani and FM Munir, the news agency quoted Turkish diplomatic sources as saying. According to Anadolu, Islamabad and Doha have intensified the exchange of messages between the warring sides after Washington and Tehran communicated their responses to a joint formula to end the months-long war. Depleting ammo? The diplomatic push was confirmed by the US ambassador to the United Nations, Mike Waltz, told Fox News on Sunday that Trump had decided to pause attacks to allow more time for diplomacy. While forces remained “locked and loaded”, he said Trump was “giving talks some space… a little bit of room”. American media reported that Trump called off his campaign of strikes after being advised by top military and civilian aides against further escalating the war he launched alongside Israel in February. CNN and the New York Times said Pentagon Chief of Staff Dan Caine had pointed to the depletion of stocks of Patriot air defence missiles, which US forces have relied on to defend bases in the Middle East. CNN reported Vice President JD Vance had also expressed reservations. Plans to escalate the campaign have been shelved in part because of those shrinking supplies, according to NYT. Trump also faces the risk of a wider Middle East war, the estrangement of vulnerable Gulf allies and further shocks to the global economy, the newspaper said. Meanwhile, Axios reported that the overall commander of US forces in the Middle East, Admiral Brad Cooper, had advised halting the US bombing campaign because it had reached the limits of its effectiveness. Prior to Friday, the US military had carried out strikes on Iran for 13 consecutive nights, in the largest rekindling of the almost five-month-old war since an April ceasefire. But two consecutive nights have now passed without bombing. “These attacks continued until two nights ago, but over the past two nights the Americans have stopped their attacks,” said Iran’s army spokesman Mohammad Akraminia. “Since… our strategy has essentially been retaliatory, we have also halted our retaliatory operations.” Unconfirmed Iranian media reports on Sunday said an oil tanker had been damaged by a sea mine. With input from Monitoring Desk and Agencies Published in Dawn, July 27th, 2026
ABD-İran Deniz Çatışması Hürmüz ve Babülmendep'i Tehdit Ederken Diplomasi BelirsizAnother bid to mend US-Iran fences ‘with China’s blessing’
TEHRAN: Iranian-made ‘Zulfiqar’ missiles are displayed at Azadi Square. As the US kept up its missile strikes on Iranian targets, the IRGC vowed to ‘kill a member of the US forces for every Iranian killed’.—AFP • Exploratory talks held during Iranian interior minister’s recent Islamabad visit • Dar meets Araghchi at SCO summit; Qatar calls for implementing Islamabad MoU • Beijing concerned as Red Sea closure would compound Hormuz woes • Trump says Iran getting serious about talks; warns China, Russia against ‘getting involved’ in conflict • Says US will punish Iran for attacks on ships by Houthi rebels • Four die as US continues strikes on Iran ISLAMABAD / DUBAI: Pakistan is said to be exploring a path towards a resumption of stalled US-Iran talks to end their nearly five-month-old war, following a push initiated by China. The development came as US missiles struck targets across Iran on Friday after President Donald Trump vowed “major military punishment” for Tehran and its Houthi allies in Yemen for extending the Middle East war to a second major shipping chokepoint, the mouth of the Red Sea. According to Reuters, exploratory discussions for the fresh push towards talks took place during a visit by Iran’s Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni to Islamabad this week, his second within the last 10 days. Earlier this week, Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels had declared a naval blockade against Saudi Arabia, which signed a mutual defence treaty with Pakistan last year. Beijing, which has consistently backed Pakistan’s mediation efforts, had dispatched its special envoy in March to lead a shuttle-diplomacy trip around the Middle East. China’s interests are being harmed by the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, and disruptions to the Red Sea route would hit another key trade route Beijing relies on. In a statement, China’s foreign ministry said “China supports the mediation efforts made by Pakistan and other parties.” It added that China will continue to “play an active role in restoring peace and tranquility in the Middle East Gulf region as soon as possible.” Separately, Qatar’s Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani called on all parties to commit to dialogue and to implement the terms of the memorandum of understanding between the United States and Iran. This includes “ensuring freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz, to preserve regional security, safeguard the gains achieved, and enhance regional stability”, the Qatari foreign ministry said. Sheikh Mohammed made the remarks in Doha during a meeting with the new British foreign secretary, Ed Miliband. Implementing the memorandum was necessary to preserve regional security, safeguard the gains achieved and strengthen stability, Sheikh Mohammed said, reiterating Qatar’s full support for efforts to defuse tensions and reach a comprehensive agreement securing lasting peace in the region. ‘Serious about talks’ Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said Friday that he had not decided on whether to launch major strikes on Iran as Tehran was now getting “very serious” in talks with Washington. “Look, we’re talking to them right now. I think they’re getting more and more serious as the days go by, for maybe the obvious reason.” Earlier, in a Truth Social post on Friday, Trump said that he does not believe China or Russia are “participating” in the ongoing Iran conflict, but warned that if they did get involved “it would be very bad for them”. Trump also said that he would hold Iran accountable for any further attacks by Yemeni fighters, “and major military punishment will be inflicted upon Iran and, of course, the Houthis, themselves”. Iranian media cited the head of Iran’s top joint military command as saying Iran would kill a member of the US forces for every Iranian killed. On Friday, US missiles struck a Revolutionary Guards Navy headquarters in the Ziba Kenar area of the Caspian Sea province of Gilan, according to a security official in Gilan. Provincial authorities said US projectiles had also struck the port city of Bandar Anzali, according to the ILNA news agency. Four people were killed and five injured in a US attack on the Iranian city of Ahvaz, the state broadcaster IRIB said. Diplomatic contacts Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar held a meeting with his Iranian counterpart, Abbas Araghchi, on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation’s Council of Foreign Ministers Meeting in Cholpon-Ata, Kyrgyzstan. In a statement, the Foreign Office said the two top diplomats reviewed the ongoing regional situation and bilateral ties. “DPM/FM expressed deep concern over recent regional tensions and underscored the importance of dialogue, restraint, de-escalation by all sides, and sustained diplomatic engagement to achieve lasting peace and stability,” the FO said in a post on X. “He emphasised the need to build on the understandings reached under the Islamabad MoU of June 2026.” “The two sides agreed to maintain close coordination and regular consultations on issues of mutual interest and reaffirmed their commitment to working together for regional peace, stability and shared prosperity,” the statement concluded. Separately, in his remarks at the SCO summit, Mr Dar said: “Pakistan firmly believes that dialogue, diplomacy and mutual respect provide the only sustainable way forward to resolve conflicts and achieve durable peace and security.” He added that this principle led to Pakistan hosting talks between the United States and Iran in Islamabad in April, “enabling first high-level direct diplomatic contact between the two sides after 47 years”. Mr Dar then urged the international community to seize the opportunity provided by the Islamabad MoU and US-Iran technical talks to push for lasting peace. Published in Dawn, July 25th, 2026
ABD-İran Gerginliğinde Diplomatik Trafik: Çin ve Pakistan da MasadaVisit of Hakan Fidan, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Türkiye, to Qatar, 19 July 2026, Doha
Minister of Foreign Affairs Hakan Fidan met with Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Qatar. Minister of Foreign Affairs HakanFidan was received...